Did you know that the right POS scale can instantly improve the checkout process?
It might seem like an over dramatization, but modern POS scales are proven to deliver streamlined customer experiences. Many of the top retail POS systems come pre-equipped with powerful POS scales. In this way, business owners and managers have everything they need to start ringing in sales immediately. So, what does this all mean for your growing small business?
Start by identifying the type of POS scale your business needs.
Ranking the Top 15 POS Scale Options for Growing Businesses
Which type of scale is right for your unique business?
Let's start with an overview of the three most popular types of POS scales.
Barcode Printing Scales: These types of scales are most commonly seen in the meat department at your local grocery outlet. The product is placed on the scale, weighed, and a barcode label is instantly generated. These scales work best for meat markets, seafood markets, delis, and any business selling product by weight.
In-Counter Scales: These scales are typically seen at the checkout register of your local grocery store. These types of scales can scan barcodes using bi-optic technology. Additionally, users can weigh products on the same surface. These types of scales are usually the most expensive among the three scale types.
Standalone Scales: These types of scales are the most basic types of scales. Typically, these scales can be found in small markets, frozen yogurt shops, or any other business that sells items by weight. When the product is placed on the scale, the weight of the product is transmitted to the POS system, and a price is calculated.
Here is a list of the top POS scale vendors for growing businesses.
CAS is a leading global manufacturer of industrial and commercial scales. The company prides itself on delivering high-quality products that meet almost any weighing need. Additionally, CAS specializes in several product categories, including POS scales. POS Nation sells CAS scales and hardware.
Top CAS POS Scale Options
- CAS Label Printing Scale: This label printing scale is ideal for use in supermarkets, specialty stores, delis, and more. It can store up to 4,000 PLUs, is easy to set up, and is user friendly.
- CAS Touchscreen Label Printing Scale: This scale was designed to weigh items in supermarkets, grocery stores, and other retail businesses that sell products by weight. The touchscreen measures 10.2 inches and features rich and colorful icons for ease of use.
- CAS Integrated Retail Scale: This scale features a dual LED display, auto span calibration, and auto zero tracking. It can measure in either kilograms or pounds, and its rugged cast aluminum case makes it ideal for delis, grocery stores, bakeries, or meat counters, with a rugged cast aluminum case.
2. Avery Berkel
Avery Berkel has over 200 years of developing scales and weighing instruments for supermarkets, butchers, farm shops, delis, and more. Avery Berkel scales are designed specifically for food-related businesses, and their ValuMax© technology keeps the scale running efficiently. POS Nation sells Avery Berkel scales and hardware.
Top Avery Berkel Scale Options
- Avery Berkel XT Series: The XT line of scales features two displays: a touchscreen for the cashier and a 7- or 10-inch multimedia display to advertise and increase customer shopping cart value. It also includes versatile label and receipt printing options, along with CodeChecker© for fewer print head changes to reduce the cost of printing.
- Avery Berkel On-Counter Scale: This scale connects via cable to your POS system and has a capacity of 60 lbs. This POS scale is constructed with a die-cast base and the highest quality electronics for high performance in various retail environments.
- Avery Berkel Xs Series: The Xs series scales are an all-in-one weighing and retail solution. The design is ideal for raised counters and tight spaces, and is built on enhanced M-Series software that's industry tried and tested.
Datalogic is a global technology leader in the automatic data capture and factory automation markets specializing in barcode readers. They pioneered the now-infamous “beep” noise for a good read you hear every time you successfully scan an item at the grocery store. They offer a comprehensive array of hands-free readers and scanner-scales to speed up checkout.
Note: POS Nation sells Datalogic scales and hardware.
Top Datalogic POS Scale Options:
- Datalogic 9300i Scanner Scale: The 9300i from Datalogic employs both vertical and horizontal scanners to ensure quick scanning regardless of where an item’s label is located. This scanner’s size allows for easy positioning and space maximization on your checkout terminal, whether operated by a cashier or a self-checkout station.
- Datalogic 9400i Scanner Scale: The 9400i incorporates all the 9300i’s features while adding some impressive technology of its own. ScaleSentry™ shrink monitoring/prevention technology, AllWeighs™ platters, and the support of all major EAS systems make 9400i purpose-built to help retailers reduce shrinkage.
- Datalogic 9800i Scanner Scale: The ultimate retail scale and scanner from Datalogic, the 9800i includes the beneficial features found in the 9300i and 9400i. It has a sleeker, ergonomic profile, and options like a Top Down Reader for top-marked items and a customer-facing scanner boost the power of this state-of-the-art scale-scanner combo.
Brecknell has been manufacturing world-class weighing systems for all industries and business types since 1913. Their focus is ensuring they deliver high-value, accurate scales for ease of use. From office and medical scales to veterinary scales and floor platforms in warehouse and freight operations, Brecknell offers a POS scale for nearly all types of small businesses.
Top Brecknell POS Scale Options:
- Brecknell 6710U Bench Scale: This scale is an NSF-approved point of sale interface scale for linking to electronic cash registers or POS systems. It features a 10” x 10” surface and “touchless” tare allows you to wave or place your hand over the display to zero the scale, enhancing food handling safety.
- Brecknell 6702U Bench Scale: Ideal for use as a POS scale in food-based businesses, the 6702U features the same “touchless” tare as the 6710U. It provides flexibility, as it can weigh items in kilograms, grams, pounds, or ounces.
- Brecknell 6720U Bench Scale: This is a heavier duty scale, and can weigh items up to 60 lbs./30kg. It easily connects to POS systems, features Brecknell’s “touchless” tare, and is made from heavy-duty cast aluminum.
Honeywell International Inc. is a multinational conglomerate focusing on four main industries: aerospace, building technologies, performance materials and technologies, and safety and productivity solutions. Their POS scale technology is part of their safety and productivity solutions, where they specialize in high-tech weighing and scanning solutions for high-volume businesses.
Top Honeywell POS Scale Options:
- Honeywell Stratos 2300 Bioptic Scanner/Scale: The 2300 is a 360° bioptic scanner and scale that increases cashier’s weighing and scanning efficiency and aggressive first-pass scanning performance. The DIVA dual interval scale can legally weigh items from as light as 0.1 lbs. up to 30 lbs.
- Honeywell Stratos 2400 Bioptic Scanner/Scale: The Stratos 2400 comes with a Flip-Up Weigh Bar that allows cashiers to accurately weigh oversized produce, reducing shrink loss. It is ideal for high transaction volume businesses such as grocery stores and markets.
- Honeywell Stratos 2700 Bioptic Scanner/Scale: The 2700 features a dual capacity scale, making it perfect for high-volume businesses needing to weigh small and moderate-weight items. The 2D area scanner not only scans barcodes, but smartphone screens and driver’s licenses as well.
Find the Right POS Scale for Your Growing Small Business
Finding the right POS scale for your growing small business is easier said than done. Fortunately, as an experienced POS system partner, we've helped thousands of small business retailers navigate these turbulent waters, and we can do the same for your business.
Thousands of small business owners and managers utilize our powerful POS software and hardware to activate and improve the checkout process. Epps Mill Market partners with POS Nation to streamline inventory management and easily ring up customers.
First, start by completing our simple system builder. You can customize every facet of your POS system — customer displays, barcode scanners, software, and more. With no hidden fees or long-term contracts, we guarantee that you'll love your new POS. If not, we proudly offer a 30-day money-back guarantee.
We're here to support you and your business from day one. Access round-the-clock technical support and our user-friendly knowledge base to help you learn your POS system inside and out.